[LAU] Some disturbing news

Dominique Michel dominique.c.michel at gmail.com
Fri Jun 8 01:41:03 CEST 2018

Le Tue, 5 Jun 2018 12:02:38 -0700 (PDT),
Len Ovens <len at ovenwerks.net> a écrit :

> On Tue, 5 Jun 2018, David Kastrup wrote:
>
> > So if we are talking about reputation management, Microsoft could
> > now rename itself to GitHub and offer GitHub Windows, GitHub
> > Office, GitHub cloud services, GitHub certified engineering
> > certificates and what not.

Most peoples are using windows or eventually max, and they know so
nothing about github than they don't even know such web services exist.

> I would be very surprised if Microsoft feels in any way that their
> name or reputation is a liability. Rather the opposite. Compared to
> the huge number of people who use windows because that is what the
> computer came with and they feel a mac is over priced and that there
> is nothing else, the open source community doesn't even show in a pie
> chart big enough to add the label. Android is huge, but only because
> people "buy" it with the phone.

Most peoples just use the same system they have at work because they
are complete illiterate peoples which get sick when they read more
documentation than "To launch a software you must click on the
corresponding icon". And they know they can ask a colleague which can
fix it in case of trouble.

> Most people do not understand the
> licencing it comes with, nor care. Most do not see it as a computer
> even those who use it as a computer replacement. They have bought a
> brick that does things and have no interest in modifying anything
> more than the backgroud picture to one with their children or
> grandchildren instead. The only reason not to use the windows in the
> computer is:
>
> A) I have a Mac as a status symbol (or iPhone)
>
> B) I want to do things with the computer it was never designed to do

Most computer users are complete illiterate peoples regarding to
computer science, which imply they will not do it but buy some coffee
machine or drink a beer instead.

> One might concider low latency audio as something the "PC" was not
> designed to do. But then is Linux designed for low latency work? Not
> really, but it is open enough to get there. Why would anyone in their
> right mind bother with such a tiny portion of computer enthusiasts
> considering the cost of support?
>
> If there is anyone here who considers themself to be in their "right
> mind" I appologize...
>
> --
> Len Ovens
> www.ovenwerks.net

If you have a problem and you are not doing anything to fix it, you are
at the heart of the problem.