[LAU] Simplest USB MIDI --> wireless --> JACK ?

Rui Nuno Capela rncbc at rncbc.org
Wed Feb 18 21:35:44 UTC 2015

hi, (now to the list)

> On 02/18/2015 04:03 AM, Jonathan E. Brickman wrote:
>> I have a Yamaha keyboard with USB MIDI out, and I'd like to get
>> that MIDI signal wirelessly to JACK running on my synth. What is
>> the simplest way right now? I could connect the keyboard to an RPi
>> and then netjack it to the synth via wifi, but that does not sound
>> very simple to me :-)
>
> If you have a RPi I would certainly consider setting it up as a MIDI
> to WiFi transponder thingy. Otherwise you could look at devices like
> this: http://www.thomann.de/nl/cme_widixu.htm

iif you really don't get whether a proper usb cable is the best all
round solution to your problem, then i'll suggest to rig the rpi with
proper alsa-midi and yours trully qmidinet (--no-gui; set to alsa-midi
only), while at the other end, either wired or wireless, run qmidinet
again as well, but now taking jack-midi as the preferred interface. or
ipmidi, if windoze or macosx is on target. beware, the latter is not
quite free, charges may apply;)

hth.
cheers
--