[Consortium] linux audio base djcj linux-sound apps and midi page etc...

Marek Peteraj marpet at naex.sk
Mon Feb 2 14:40:54 EST 2004

On Mon, 2004-02-02 at 10:57, Chris Cannam wrote:
> On Monday 02 Feb 2004 2:02 am, Marek Peteraj wrote:
> > Linux Audio.
> >
> > You can't have a better promotion than having a domain name with
> > exactly that name - Linux Audio.
>
> Well, you see, I'm not so convinced that it is such an obvious name as
> you think.
>
> I think the apparent obviousness of it is a projection of the fact
> that as developers or engineers we mostly seem to think of what we do
> as "audio".  I'm not so sure that "audio" is going to be the obvious
> defining word to any user who is not an audio engineer by trade.
>
> For example, look at the website for the Sounds Expo trade show:
>
>   http://www.sounds-expo.co.uk/index2.php
>
> To us this is obviously an audio industry trade show, but the word
> "audio" does not feature in the description on that site at all.
> Similarly I have copies of the latest Sound on Sound and Future Music
> magazines in front of me, and the word "audio" is nowhere on the
> cover of either.  All of these exclusively use words like "sound",
> "recording", "music".  "Audio" describes a particular domain that has
> to do with frequencies and samples: it's something that engineers use
> to make music products, not something that musicians use.  (The
> crossover between studio engineers and home studio users does muddy
> this one, of course.)
>
> Still, to me this seems like a pretty obvious distinction -- I've been
> developing Linux music software for nearly a decade now, but I'm only
> tangentially a Linux audio developer.  And I see the "linuxaudio.org"
> consortium as having a name that suggests it's targeted at the audio
> industry, or at least to developers and sound engineers, not so much
> the average end user.  I'm not persuaded that the musician with an
> interest in music software for Linux would ever think of going to
> linuxaudio.org at all.

Ok, let's look at your flyer:

you're using the terms "audio software" "audio editor" "Linux audio
applications" "Linux audio software"

Let's look at your description of JACK - an audio service which routes
audio.
Now suppose i change 'audio' to 'sound', that's 'sound service' - does
it mean it's similar to wizoo sounds?
Or even better, let's call it music service - it's going to let jack
look like a music service such as iTunes or Napster.

let's take a look at http://www.sounds-expo.co.uk/index2.php as you
suggested.

"Sounds Expo is the UK event for *musicians*, producers and *sound*
engineers."

Now let's take a look at the exhibitors:

Audio Agency
Audio Media
Audio Technica
AudioState
Focusrite Audio Engineering
TL Audio
GNU Linux Audio Centre

Guys, if you think that the term 'Linux audio' isn't so important, or
that linux sound or linux music would better suit the needs of users,
why don't you just leave www.linuxaudio.org for LinuxAudio itself.
I'd be happy to buy it from Daniel and redirect it to the LAD page.

Marek