[Consortium] linux audio base djcj linux-sound apps and midi page etc...

Chris Cannam cannam at all-day-breakfast.com
Mon Feb 2 12:51:20 EST 2004

On Monday 02 Feb 2004 7:40 pm, Marek Peteraj wrote:
> Ok, let's look at your flyer:

Yes, I did that after I sent that email and was interested to see just
how far I'd fallen into the same trap myself, of using "audio" when I
simply couldn't be bothered to come up with the correct word.  The
fact is that while Sweep is an audio editor and JACK is (as you point
out) an audio service, I am actually writing about Linux sound
production applications and music composition or recording software.

Once upon a time I would never have described Rosegarden as audio
software, and the fact that I effectively did so on that flyer just
shows that I've been subscribed to LAD too long.

> Guys, if you think that the term 'Linux audio' isn't so important,
> or that linux sound or linux music would better suit the needs of
> users, why don't you just leave www.linuxaudio.org for LinuxAudio
> itself.

Huh?  What is "LinuxAudio itself"?  I've never encountered anything
called that.

My point is just that linuxaudio.org fits the bill of a name for a
consortium directed at the audio industry.  But it's a pretty crap
name for an end-user portal about music software.  I happen to think
linuxmusician.com has a much better name for that, although that's
not very relevant to my point here.

If you were suggesting an end-user portal strictly about pro-audio
software for sound engineering, you might have a point.  Are you?

Chris