[Consortium] linux audio base djcj linux-sound apps and midi page etc...

Marek Peteraj marpet at naex.sk
Mon Feb 2 15:32:01 EST 2004

On Mon, 2004-02-02 at 18:51, Chris Cannam wrote:
> On Monday 02 Feb 2004 7:40 pm, Marek Peteraj wrote:
> > Ok, let's look at your flyer:
>
> Yes, I did that after I sent that email and was interested to see just
> how far I'd fallen into the same trap myself, of using "audio" when I
> simply couldn't be bothered to come up with the correct word.  The
> fact is that while Sweep is an audio editor and JACK is (as you point
> out) an audio service, I am actually writing about Linux sound
> production applications and music composition or recording software.
>
> Once upon a time I would never have described Rosegarden as audio
> software, and the fact that I effectively did so on that flyer just
> shows that I've been subscribed to LAD too long.
>
> > Guys, if you think that the term 'Linux audio' isn't so important,
> > or that linux sound or linux music would better suit the needs of
> > users, why don't you just leave www.linuxaudio.org for LinuxAudio
> > itself.
>
> Huh?  What is "LinuxAudio itself"?  I've never encountered anything
> called that.
>
> My point is just that linuxaudio.org fits the bill of a name for a
> consortium directed at the audio industry.  But it's a pretty crap
> name for an end-user portal about music software.  I happen to think
> linuxmusician.com has a much better name for that, although that's
> not very relevant to my point here.
>
> If you were suggesting an end-user portal strictly about pro-audio
> software for sound engineering, you might have a point.  Are you?

I'm not suggesting an end-user portal at all. And it shouldn't be about
'pro-audio'. It should be about audio in general. See how ALSA has put
pro and consumer audio cards into one bag. That's because the
limitations of MME vs. ASIO, WDM or GSI had disappeared.
To me it's not about pro-audio and consumer-audio cards anymore. It's
about higher quality cards and lower-quality cards.
The same goes for software. There's no such thing as $1000 for pro audio
software when it comes to Linux Audio software.

What i'm suggesting is that we should build upon those values we already
have. LAD is definitely one of them. There's a set of mailing lists
where people virtually meet each other and discuss various things.
Those are all Linux Audio mailing lists.
LAD has been here on the internet for 7 years which means *a lot*.
It's a traditional place. It's a Linux Audio place just like LAU or LAA.
You're trying to promote JACK but JACK was born on LAD. LADSPA was born
on LAD aswell.

www.linuxaudio.org should be a website

where developers can find:
* a place for discussion - LAD
* news - projects, events, other developer community related stuff
  that's LAA redirected to front page.
* developer documentation
* their prefered project

and where users can find:
* a place for discussion - LAU
* news - new applications and new versions of applications, community
news
* user documentation
* their prefered application

It's Linux Audio that needs promotion.