[Consortium] linux audio base djcj linux-sound apps and midi page etc...

Andrea Glorioso sama at agnula.org
Mon Feb 2 17:12:16 EST 2004

Marek Peteraj <marpet at naex.sk> writes:

> On Mon, 2004-02-02 at 20:08, Andrea Glorioso wrote:
>> Marek Peteraj <marpet at naex.sk> writes:
>>
>> > But the site says it's targeting the music, recording and broadcast
>> > industry...
>>
>> Why can't   you just stop  a bit   and suspend your  criticisms  until
>> something gets actually done ?
>
> Because i'd like to see it done right? And help out?

Accusing people   of "being about to  destroy  the importance of linux
audio" (cit.) is not a good way of helping out  - I think we can agree
on this.

>> The right to criticize is sacred, but I think everybody should use it
>> with a grain of salt.
>
> Just think about what i'm saying and you'll start seeing that it's not
> at all trolling.

That's a matter of opinion, and just as you have criticized the way in
which the  initial consortium  discussions  have been done  (i.e. on a
closed mailing list, although I already explained  the reasons why the
list was   closed and I  generally don't  agree that *all* discussions
must or should  be kept on open mailing  lists) I think you can accept
the fact that the way in which *you* have  presented your ideas and or
objections can be interpreted as trolling.

I mean, if one persons thinks  you are trolling,  s/he could be wrong.
If  two persons think that, possibilities  they  are wrong gets lower.
If more  than two  persons maintain  that  your  way of saying  things
amounts to trolling, I  would stop, take  ad deep breath, and consider
that maybe *I* might be wrong.

Anyway..

I think I understood  one of the  main problematic points is the usage
of the linuxaudio.org domain.  As I already said, I think we can reach
a compromise   here - have  www.linuxaudio.org be  a generic portal (I
would anyway add a "this domain was brought to you thanks to the Linux
Audio Consortium" banner - I think that's  fair) and use subdomains of
linuxadio.org   for specific tasks,  as have  already been outlined in

As far  as your desire  to help  out  goes, that's welcome.   The main
point is whether you  want to help  the Consortium (as a web designer,
document writer, legal advisor, whatever) or some  of the sub projects
which we want to create under the  linuxaudio.org umbrella (I mean the
domain, not the Linux Audio Consortium).

If you do not want to  cooperate with the Consortium, that's perfectly
fine  - but then I would   suggest that you  don't pester Consortium's
members with  endless e-mails  on  what they are  doing wrong (because
that *is* trolling).   One e-mail will suffice   - if we don't  follow
your advice, it simply means we don't  agree with you  or we feel that
your concerns are not worth enough  - I think  that's a fine position,
at  least as much  as you  considering the  current Consortium's plans
wrong is.

bye,

andrea