[Consortium] Hardware loan policy

Daniel James daniel at linuxaudio.org
Thu Feb 26 04:55:58 EST 2004

> But coordinating between counties and projects is a lot of work for
> a single person.

I meant one named person per piece of hardware, rather than one person
for all hardware - the latter approach could cause problems if a
third party did not return the hardware.

> I don't think you'll get much joy trying to impose a structure on
> how either the hardware or the work could be distributed.  It's up
> to people to work as they feel like it

Sure - I meant that people would volunteer to be responsible for a
particular device, not some kind of centralised allocation system.
I'd guess that some devices would suit certain developers' skills and
interests more than others - there's not much point sending a
controller keyboard to a developer who isn't working on MIDI stuff,
for example.

> think the approach here has to be pragmatic as in many cases if the
> interested developer wants some hardware they can always buy it if
> they can afford it

Quite - but potentially these could be expensive pieces of hardware
loaned to developers releasing 'free as in beer' software. They may
also be pre-production models unavailable in the shops, or equipment
bartered for software support.

> or just approach the vendor directly for loan
> stuff.

I think that would be unlikely to succeed if lots of different
developers were making competing claims for the same kit.

> It'd be nice if LinuxAudio.org helped with this process
> rather than tried to impose a regime to it

I did mean the hardware that the consortium was offered as a group,
not to interfere with relationships that individual members have (or
would like to have) with manufacturers.

Cheers

Daniel