[Consortium] Hardware loan policy

Richard Bown richard.bown at ferventsoftware.com
Thu Feb 26 05:25:24 EST 2004

On Thursday 26 February 2004 09:55, Daniel James wrote:
> > But coordinating between counties and projects is a lot of work for
> > a single person.
>
> I meant one named person per piece of hardware, rather than one person
> for all hardware

Ah, ok.

Actually, I think maybe we're coming at it from two sides here.  Perhaps
you're talking about hardware which might just turn up on spec at the
consortium for usage by development teams, rather than the developers
themselves driving a particular request through to the manufaturer (which is
more my angle).

Anyway, the point was that in the case that a team has a particular need which
another member could service it would be useful for the consortium to act on
the behalf of the little guys to get their voices heard and at least get them
an answer if they can't get the kit.  Of course someone has to decide what is
a reasonable request in this case but it might be annoying if individual
teams or small companies (ahem) went to the bigger companies for hardware
help only to be told that the consortium has already been given X or Y.  In
this case there has to be a distinction between specific task-driven work and
just general freebies for people to share and play around with.  Non?