[Consortium] re: linuxaudio.org

Marek Peteraj marpet at naex.sk
Thu Jan 29 19:50:43 EST 2004

Hi Christian,

On Thu, 2004-01-29 at 23:16, Christian Fredrik Kalager Schaller wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-01-29 at 23:28, Marek Peteraj wrote:
>
> > As the software is open source itself, why is there any need for private mailinglists?
> > Is there anything we should hide?
>
> Hi Marek,
> I haven't followed the whole of this argument, so I apologize if this
> has been said before. Since linuxaudio is meant to mimic OSDL in some
> respects I assume it will at time engage in business negotiations with
> various parties. Such dealing are by nature confidential until they are
> ready to be announced which explains the need for a private mailing list
> for the linuxaudio.org board.

to be honest, i don't see a reason to go private if the source code
itself isn't proprietary. The problem is - who is going to negotiate if
there's no organisation in legal sense? Who are the members? A project
can't be a member since it can't be considered as an organisation though
developers and other people helping out in a project do organise
themselves.
A project is:
"WordNet (r) 2.0"
project
     n 1: any piece of work that is undertaken or attempted; "he
          prepared for great undertakings" syn: undertaking, task,
           labor
"Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary (1913)
2. That which is projected or designed; something intended or
      devised; a scheme; a design; a plan.

So suppose we *have* a legal entity, who will be allowed to get in?
A legal entity, a natural person, both?
Since a project isn't an organisation, will the project leaders or contributors be members of that consortium?
How many? All of them? The leading developers only?
If so, are both legal entities and natural persons allowed to enter then?
How is the organisation going to be organised in that case? How many members should it have?
Will the members of a corporate body enter?
etc....

Since you're an active member of the gnome community, i'd like to know what you think of a model similar to gnome foundation.
I'm much more inclined to that model personally.

Marek