LADs and GALs was Re: [Consortium] linuxaudio abbreviation

Joern Nettingsmeier nettings at folkwang-hochschule.de
Sat Jan 31 11:27:22 EST 2004

Andrea Glorioso wrote:
> iriXx <m at iriXx.org> writes:
>

>>for a long time i felt it was LAD by name, LAD by nature. there are few
>>women on the list, and all of us who have been there have found it
>>difficult to get in to the group. i'm sure this is unintentional - but
>>changing the name would help an awful lot in removing this image.
>

> That's (very   unfortunately)  the   general situation of    women  in
> computing.  I  don't  think that changing  a  name is going  to change
> long-standing (bad) habits,  but  if it  in some way  can help attract
> more female users/developers/writers/whatever, I'm  all for  not using
> the term "LAD".
>
> <joking>
> On the other hand, think  about those poor guys whose  name is male in
> Italy but female in every other part of the world  - we get treated as
> females but we need to shave every morning just like males!
> </joking>

:-D

or imagine to have a nordic name whose gender seems not to be
obvious in a number of languages and be spammed with both breast
*and* penis enlargements :)

when the new LAD site is up, i will suggest LAUD as the new
general-purpose acronym for the community around the lists. however,
for practical reasons, i would like to retain LA[DAU] as shorthand
for the individual lists. those who don't like the accidental
connotation can spell it out :)
i'm with andrea in that changing the name is not going to change the
attitude.

i'll come up with a thread on LAD once the new site is up, and we
can then discuss the acronym in the proper place...

--
"I never use EQ, never, never, never. I previously used to use mic
positioning but I've even given up on that too."

Jörn Nettingsmeier
Kurfürstenstr 49, 45138 Essen, Germany
http://spunk.dnsalias.org (my server)
http://www.linuxaudiodev.org (Linux Audio Developers)