[Consortium] a few more rants...

Joern Nettingsmeier nettings at folkwang-hochschule.de
Wed Mar 3 12:01:25 EST 2004

On Wed, 3 Mar 2004, Daniel James wrote:

> >  Before talking about an individual developer's
> > "responsibility" to do free work for a hardware company, we should
> > be talking about that developer's worth to the company.
>
> Perhaps - but let me put it like this. The professional Linux audio
> market is currently so small as to be insignificant to a hardware
> company. We currently rely on good will to get any loan hardware or
> specifications.

while i may agree with the general gist of marek's first objection, it
seems to me he is (again) shooting the messenger here.
it is certainly more desirable to have vendors supply drivers or
development samples of hardware without strings attached. but the fact is,
many don't.

if i understood daniel's intent correctly, he is trying to provide a
*mechanism* for how hardware loans and/or donations should be handled.
marek is talking about *policy*. in good unix tradition, those should
kept separate.

back to lurk mode, regards

joern