[Consortium] a few more rants...

Jan Depner eviltwin69 at cableone.net
Wed Mar 3 17:50:02 EST 2004

I don't really have the time (or background) to work on drivers for new
hardware but I want to interject one small comment here.  If you're
going to deal with companies and you want to be taken seriously you have
to deal with them in a professional manner.  You can't make demands of a
company.  They are in business to make money and probably aren't real
interested in the philosophical side of the open source movement.  The
magic phrase here is quid pro quo.  They give/loan us something and we
give them drivers/support.  When you get right down to it we're donating
our time and effort for a much less tangible (but no less important)
return.  Let's try not to look at it like we're being victimized.  I
don't know about the rest of you but I work on the software because 1) I
use it; 2) I like working on software (I know, I'm sick, it's also my
job at work); and 3) because I like helping other people.

Jan