[Consortium] Meeting at Karlsruhe

jaromil jaromil at dyne.org
Wed May 5 07:05:16 EDT 2004

re all,

On Wed, May 05, 2004 at 10:28:58AM +0100, Daniel James wrote:
> For the benefit of people who weren't able to attend, I'll summarise
> the result of the linuxaudio.org meeting at the International Linux
> Audio Conference in Karlsruhe, Germany last week.

thanks Daniel!

> The two main issues that were discussed were the legal status of the
> linuxaudio.org consortium, and website consolidation.
>
> On the first point, several people thought that the organisation could
> benefit by becoming a legal entity, such as a registered
> not-for-profit organisation. This possibility raises several
> questions. In which country would it be registered? How would the
> inevitable overhead caused by bureauracy be handled so that it did
> not disproportionately consume advocacy resources? Could official
> status actually restrict consortium activities?

there are good conditions for establishing a Foundation in Netherlands,
which can be then considered a non-profit organization in other european
countries (in Italy AFAIK a foundation is something different from what
it is in NL).

The good conditions essentially consist in thinner beaurocracy and low
prices: with approx 500 euros one can cover all the costs needed.

I can further investigate this opportunity while i'm in Amsterdam (until
end of june), if you all think is worthwhile.

I also agree that a foundation/non-profit-org is a good way to shape our
efforts, as long we are enough people (AFAIK a min of 8 is needed) and
we have a clear (and one could say strong) motivation for our mission.

> The consortium could help here by co-ordinating a reorganisation of
> sites around the most appropriate domain names, using sub-domains
> where appropriate. Then content management systems could be used to
> spread the work of maintaining sites among teams of editors.
> Naturally there would have to be legacy links in place to make sure
> that information was not lost.

good idea.

tech-wise i suggest to first evaluate the use of RSS feeds to do that,
that could be a first working exchange of links and infos. At least
the linuxaudio page could start publishing a feed that others can
include..

ciao!

- --
 jaromil,  dyne.org rasta coder,  http://rastasoft.org