[Consortium] Re: Linux audio workstations

Daniel James daniel at linuxaudio.org
Mon Sep 20 06:25:03 EDT 2004

Hi Sili,

> Please forgive me for my english.

No need - your English is fine.

> For audio stuff we should stop crusade. We should choose
> one GUI paltform.

I'm inclined to agree. I know a lot of people are choosing Fluxbox
because of the low resource overhead.

> I saw only two application that runs on any linux distro with easy
> installation without using make, configure etc and spending time to
> install additional libraries if required (Netscape and openoffice).

Perhaps they were static binaries, with all the libraries compiled in.
Although that's a good way to make sure an application will install
without dependencies, I don't think it's particularly efficient. In
my view, the best solution is a robust package management system such
as apt or urpmi. Apt is used by both DeMuDi and Planet CCRMA at home,
while Thac's RPMs for Mandrake uses urpmi.

> You should seriously
> consider what i wrote above as future standards for audio
> application listed in distros.

While there is the freedesktop.org initiative for general users, I
don't think anyone has attempted to set compatibility standards for
Linux audio workstations. At the moment, I'd expect that most of the
adaptation work is falling on the binary package maintainers.

> Its time to do right thing and not
> just talking about it.

I'm in 100% agreement with you there!

Cheers