[Consortium] Status of FireWire/MLan support?

Daniel James daniel at linuxaudio.org
Wed Apr 20 09:32:36 EDT 2005

Hello ALSA team,

At the recent Sounds Expo in London, I took the opportunity to talk to
FireWire interface vendors, and also to Yamaha about MLan.

Regarding FireWire audio in general, the companies were much more
positive this year, actively talking about working with the Linux
audio community. I suspect this has a lot to do with a) an increase
in the level of customers asking about Linux and b) high-profile
manufacturers, such as Korg, adopting Linux for music devices which
will quite possibly have built-in FireWire support.

The representative of M-Audio was under the impression that 'the guys
from SuSE' were working with them on support for the FireWire 410
product. Is this indeed the case, or are you working under NDA
perhaps?

Other companies that provided new contacts included Focusrite (they
now also make a FireWire interface), and the UK distributor of RME
products. If we can help the ALSA project by passing on these
contacts, just let me know. (I also have a contact with Behringer
regarding support for their USB 2.0 interface and control surfaces).

On the subject of MLan, I was given a contact in the MLan licensing
department at Yamaha when I enquired if there was some way the
control node specification could be made available to linuxaudio.org
members. Last year at Sounds Expo, a representative of Yamaha gave
the opinion that developers could probably have the specs if they
asked for them, so it's about time we chased this up.

Cheers!

Daniel