[Consortium] Re: UK free software audio/video conference

Daniel James daniel at linuxaudio.org
Sun Jan 2 10:24:48 EST 2005

Hi Tim,

> Happy New Year.

Thanks - same to you!

> Ben Edwards, who is sysadmin at the Trinity Centre in Bristol
> [ http://3ca.org.uk/home ] is interested in hosting a UK libre multimedia
> conference this year.

Bristol is not a bad location, as it goes - better than the Isle of
Wight, which I had thought about. It would be more difficult/expensive
for most people to get to, wheras Bristol is quite accessible.

 > He reckons the Trinity Centre could be made available
> for little or nothing and is after an idea of suitable dates. Obviously we
> don't want to clash with the ZKM LAD conf or any of the London Linux Expo
> type stuff

April has both the Sounds Expo and the ZKM conference - probably too
early as well. There is only one Linux Expo this year and it is in
October. A good resource for planning events is
http://www.linuxcalendar.com/

If you want to attract students and other young people, it might be a
good idea to hold it over the summer holiday period, as long as it
doesn't clash with any of the festivals.

> I'd really value your thoughts on the matter

It might be a good idea to bill it as a user-focused event with some
acessible talks from developers. The ZKM conference is primarily a
developer event and there isn't much point in duplicating that, even if
it is in a different country.

I'd have the main sessions over a weekend so that people with jobs they
can't get away from will be able to attend at least some of the
sessions. There should also be a jam session/DJ'ing/VJ'ing event.