[Consortium] Re: UK free software audio/video conference

tim hall tech at glastonburymusic.org.uk
Mon Jan 3 10:29:14 EST 2005

Daniel,

Like the Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal this answer comes in triplicate!
I promise not to make a habit of it.

Last Sunday 02 January 2005 15:24, Daniel James was like:
> Bristol is not a bad location, as it goes - better than the Isle of
> Wight, which I had thought about. It would be more difficult/expensive
> for most people to get to, wheras Bristol is quite accessible.

> > Obviously
> > we don't want to clash with the ZKM LAD conf or any of the London Linux
> > Expo type stuff
>
> April has both the Sounds Expo and the ZKM conference - probably too
> early as well. There is only one Linux Expo this year and it is in
> October. A good resource for planning events is
> http://www.linuxcalendar.com/

Ah, thanks. That's a useful resource, slightly interesting layout.

> If you want to attract students and other young people, it might be a
> good idea to hold it over the summer holiday period, as long as it
> doesn't clash with any of the festivals.

> It might be a good idea to bill it as a user-focused event with some
> acessible talks from developers. The ZKM conference is primarily a
> developer event and there isn't much point in duplicating that, even if
> it is in a different country.

A User focussed event sounds rather good to me. I'd like to see some good
working demo set-ups - a recording environment - obviously Live music stuff
too and it would be good to webcast it in a similar manner to ZKM if at all
possible. I guess we'll have to see what we can pull out of the bag.

> I'd have the main sessions over a weekend so that people with jobs they
> can't get away from will be able to attend at least some of the
> sessions. There should also be a jam session/DJ'ing/VJ'ing event.

Yep, It would be good to focus on experiential stuff - actually making music -
hands on sessions, blah ...

> Are you aiming to get sponsorship for this
> event?

Now there's a good question. Money is always the last thing I think about. I
don't even know where I would set targets for an event like this. The event
is very much in the ideas stage, so more reason for setting the date a bit
later. I'm confident that if we build it they will come, however, many camels
need tying up between now and then.

Thanks for your positive response. :-)
I think the time is right for this particular little idea.
Please pass on mailing list details [0] to anyone who might be interested.

cheers

--tim
http://glastonburymusic.org.uk/tim