[Consortium] Re: linuxsampler and oneshotsampler

Paul Winkler pw_lists at slinkp.com
Wed Mar 30 12:04:18 EST 2005

On Tue, Mar 29, 2005 at 07:38:19PM +0300, Juhana Sadeharju wrote:
> >From: Josh Green <josh at resonance.org>
> >
> >> the better choice for distributing free giga collection could be done
> >> done trough bittorrent files on the site.
> [ ... ]
> >- ed2k links for the edonkey network
> >- All files compressed with CRAM (Compress hybRid Audio Media)
> >  http://swami.sourceforge.net/cram.php
>
> "bittorrent", "ed2k" --- I hope that Internet Explorer can download
> the "bittorrent" and "ed2k" files with IE's standard settings and
> plugins. I cannot install anything to University's computers.
> Please choose ftp or http for a fruitful start of the project!!

You have a very good point there; there must always be web or ftp downloads
available for people who cannot use other protocols.

> Are "bittorrent" and "ed2k" open source software/protocols? If not,
> they should not be used.

Bittorrent is open source:
http://www.bittorrent.com/license/

eDonkey does not appear to be open source software.
Not sure about the file format.

> Cram? I cannot verify now but I hope it is
> open source software. If not, we should use flac.

Cram is part of the Swami project so presumably is GPL like the
rest of it. Would be nice if the website was clear about that.

"CRAM is a file format created to handle compression of files containing
both binary and audio data. It was developed specifically for the
purpose of compressing instrument files (such as SoundFont, DLS2,
GigaSampler, etc) but is not confined to this purpose. Binary data is
compressed using zlib and the audio is compressed with FLAC..."

--

Paul Winkler
http://www.slinkp.com