[Consortium] ladspa repository

Steve Harris S.W.Harris at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Thu Apr 20 06:56:42 EDT 2006

On Thu, Apr 20, 2006 at 09:47:40 +0100, Daniel James wrote:
> Hi Steve,
>
> >Yery good idea, I've been wanting to do that for a long time, but I've
> >never had time.
>
> I agree this is a good time to do it, but I suggest we make it
> plugins.linuxaudio.org rather than ladspa.linuxaudio.org so we can
> include DSSI plugins and any future formats under the same umbrella.
>
> Also, I've been wondering recently about plugin classification and the
> way that plugins are packaged by the various distros. I think there's
> scope for some smaller packages that include the plugins a user would be
> most likely to need, maybe separated out into effects and synth plugins.
>
> For example, we currently include about 220 LADSPA plugins in 64 Studio,
> but I don't think I ever use more than a dozen of those in my own
> studio. Even then, some of the AMS demos don't work because we don't
> have all the plugins they need.

It's a tricky issue. It something that's actually easier on other
platforms where plugins tend to be distributed individually, or in small
groups. Doing that with source would be a right pain, and primarily
distribuing linux plugins as binaries seems a bit wierd.

I guess it would make sense for the distributions to do that though, but
I've no idea how you'd break them up.

- Steve