[Consortium] re: Linuxaudio.org updates

ico ico at vt.edu
Mon Mar 20 11:34:41 EST 2006

> On Mon, Mar 20, 2006 at 01:57:13 +0000, Daniel James wrote:
> > >Calling the whole system just Linux is arguably a misuse of the
> > >trademark.
> >
> > Arguably so, and please rest assured that I have had the 'the talk' from
> > RMS more than once, but in the case of linuxaudio.org the organisation
> > is specifically about the Linux kernel and related free software. We
> > don't cover audio on BSD, Darwin or any other free software platform. We
> > do recognise the The Linux Mark Institute and the work it has done to
> > defend the Linux trademark.
>
> I agree with this, and in previous years a lot of the development effort
> was specifically targeted at the linux kernel, but I feel that this is
> becoming less true with time. In particular a small but significant
> ammount of linux audio software now runs on OS X.

Please allow me to chime in here. Linuxaudio.org is not designed to be
exclusionary, but rather focused on a particular platform. This means that
cross-platform efforts which cater to the Linux platform are also very much
endorsed by the Linuxaudio.org (we already have a number of such memberships).
It is simply that the consortium's efforts are based on our focus, which is
currently the dominant libre platform.

As far as the logo is concerned, I agree that the "cutesy" factor may be seen
as distracting/inappropriate. FWIW, this at times can be also its strength as
it allows the logo to stand out. The actual "cute" factor is also
significantly diminished when the logo is reformatted to a web-usable size
(namely made significantly smaller).

It is also conceivable that certain sites/webmasters will be more prone to
including logos with penguins than others. For this reason, perhaps we could
also talk about having 1 official logo, but 2 or more web logos which would be
a variation on the original.

Most importantly, no matter which logo we pick, we should provide svg/png's
online for those who wish to provide link on their webpages.

Best wishes,

Ico