[Consortium] latest developments

Ivica Ico Bukvic ico at vt.edu
Tue Jul 17 22:13:30 EDT 2007

Hi all,

Here's a quick update regarding latest developments:

Last couple months have been incredibly busy. One of the things I've been
working on is getting us a dedicated high-bandwidth access. Since the
release of UbuntuStudio our server has been running steadily at 110% of
network bandwidth utilization. Thanks to the hard work of our volunteers the
server has not melted (yet, :-). This week, I've had already half-dozen
meetings (whenever I am subjected to such a torture, I feel as if my IQ has
irreparably dropped ;-), some of which pertained directly to the aforesaid
predicament. At this point I am unable to promise anything but as long as
everything goes as planned, as early as this fall we may be able to move our
server to a dedicated Internet2 node (meaning practically guaranteed
100MB+/second connection). Our more immediate plan is to replace the
existing server with a dedicated Linux box which would run off of a
dedicated 100mBit connection. So, let's keep our fingers crossed!

I have been getting steady stream of questions about Linuxaudio.org's
participation in various conferences. Given that we are still unable to
generate revenue, I am wondering if we could organize a group of
Linuxaudio.org ambassadors who, whenever they would participate in various
events/conferences/expos, would also do some PR for us. If interested,
please contact me asap. Please  also mention event you are interested in
covering so that we can minimize overalp. Since I believe in leading by
example, I have already made plans to cover this year's ICMC which is going
to take place in Copenhagen next month ;-). If any of you plan on being
there, please make sure to look me up, so that we can go for a pint or two.

So much for now. Stay tuned for more updates!

Best wishes,

Ivica Ico Bukvic, D.M.A.
Linuxaudio.org Director
Virginia Tech