[Consortium] delta 44 and digital mixer

Daniel James daniel at 64studio.com
Wed Nov 14 05:12:05 EST 2007

Hi R,

> While skype can
> use hardware inputs 1 or 2, if there is audio coming in on inputs 3
> and 4, the audio for 3 and 4 is not sent through skype.

I think that's probably because the Linux version of Skype is hard-wired
to use the first two channels available. I don't use Skype personally,
but I suggest you check if it is trying to use the legacy /dev/dsp
interface of OSS (card 0 in ALSA).

You can probably switch your cards around so that the one you want to
use with Skype becomes /dev/dsp using something like the following
method (for 64 Studio or Debian):

As root, add lines like these to the end of your
/etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base file:

alias snd-card-0 snd-emu10k1

options snd-emu10k1 index=0

alias snd-card-1 snd-rme9652

options snd-rme9652 index=1

alias snd-card-2 snd-usb-audio

options snd-usb-audio index=2

In this example, a Creative Labs Audigy is set to card 0 for Skype, an
RME Hammerfall is card 1 for jackd, and a USB midi connector is card 2.

> Also, would I need a sound server like jackd to achieve this
> functionality?

I don't think JACK is the right solution for your scenario. You might
consider PulseAudio instead, which is more desktop 'consumer' orientated:

http://www.pulseaudio.org/

By the way, this probably isn't the best list to ask for help on
practical topics. In future, you could try: