[Consortium] Flagship Midas console runs Linux

Joern Nettingsmeier nettings at folkwang-hochschule.de
Thu Feb 7 09:22:24 EST 2008

Fons Adriaensen wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 06, 2008 at 01:28:15PM +0000, Daniel James wrote:
>
>>> I'd say that honour should go to Digico rather than Midas.
>> I guess everybody's got their favourites :-)
>
> Actually I'd be much surprised to learn that the digital
> audio technology used by Midas is Linux based. The control
> surface may be.

yeah, they are running dsp boards, so the actual guts of the system
won't have much to do with linux, at least not where it's interesting
(signal processing, realtime scheduling). but actually, i don't care
what does the heavy lifting under the hood. the big breakthrough is that
these guys are advertising their use of linux as a selling point.

that's so great, for all i care they could be doing their dsp on NT5
long as they don't tell anyone >:->

jokes aside, it would be even greater if such a professional piece of
gear was using the same infrastructure (generic CPUs and JACK) that we
use in our daily work, but it's good news nonetheless. i wish midas lots
of luck with their new product. it does look cool. if you look closely
at one of their photos, you'll see a window with "AUX 52" in red. wow :)
52 auxes. does that get you as many chicks as the old midas behemoths
with the VU meter bridge? ;)

--
jörn nettingsmeier

home://germany/45128 essen/lortzingstr. 11/
http://spunk.dnsalias.org
phone://+49/201/491621

Kurt is up in Heaven now.