[Consortium] OpenUp your Concept

Robin Gareus robin at linuxaudio.org
Fri Apr 23 16:42:04 EDT 2010

anybody wrote:
> Hey,

Hi Andreas, sorry for the late reply. I've forgot to answer the email in
 the heat of LAC organization..

> Could you perhaps please open up your "PLANET" Concept to "musicsplanet"?

Of course. All Music is Audio; but not all Audio is Music :)
I've updated the description on http://wiki.linuxaudio.org/wiki/planet

> FL(libre)OSS is much more than just Linux(imho)...

Indeed. we've been discussing this over and over again the last years.
On that note: many Linux-Audio apps also run on OSX or BSD these days..

However, "Linux" is a well-known established name, that many
non-technical people know and associate with the spirit of "FLOSS".

Other reason for sticking to the current name (LinuxAudio) are
old-timers (Linux rulez) and nitpickers (the last "S" in FLOSS stands
for Software, or we should become GNU/Linux-audio). We've actually
already registered a few new DNS entries including "libre.." but reached
the conses that linuxaudio.org will stay linuxaudio.org for a few more
years.

On that note, there will be a round-table at the upcoming Linux Audio
Conference, discussing these issues. If you're not able to attend the
conference, feel free to join in with the A/V streams and contribute by IRC.

> It would have a more broader base of blog writers

We're not really targeting bloggers; the core of linuxaudio.org is and
will be the mailing-lists. The motivation for that is that the quality
of content and discussions is much higher there than that of the usual
blogs & comments or forums.

> at first and then there is a "PLANET"
> called "graphicsplanet.org" which does exactly the same?
>
> OR
>
> If that isn't your stuff please forward this msg. to sb who could be in charge for this...

You're not far off. I'm in the admin but actually this is responsibility
of the Linux-Audio consortium (CC).

> Yours sincerely, Andreas Posur

best,
robin