[Consortium] Advertising Policy - linuxaudio.org

Patrick Shirkey pshirkey at boosthardware.com
Sun Apr 8 01:39:37 UTC 2012

On Sun, April 8, 2012 3:16 am, Jörn Nettingsmeier wrote:
> On 04/08/2012 01:38 AM, Patrick Shirkey wrote:
>> Easter Greetings to the list.
>>
>> I have been contacted by a reputable audio company who would like to
>> sponsor the "audio quality howto" by placing an advertisement on the
>> page
>> for a one year period.
>>
>> http://lau.linuxaudio.org/audio_quality_howto.htm
>>
>> Do we have an advertising policy for Linuxaudio.org?
>
> why would anyone want to advertise on a page that has been bitrotting
> for 12 years?!

Good question with s simple answer: SEO

Pages that have a high rank contribute to traffic growth so a page like
the one above will be a good place to get some clickthroughs but an even
better place to increase your search ranking with the various engines.

It's not so much about the quality of the content as much as it is about
the   ongoing persistence of it and the keywords embedded in the page. It
is also about how many referring pages there are that point to that page.
Some of the content on LAO is embedded deep into the search hierarchy
because we have all been very active in linking away to it on our own
websites over the years. That is used to determine rank and quality via
the automated algorithms which the various Search engine companies have
devised to collate the data and provide the results that people expect.

For example just look at the keywords for that page.

If you were a search engine and you found one ad on a page that was
discussing "Audio Quality" which had several hundred referring links
pointing at it and all of them were discussing Linux "Audio" with the
various additional content and meta tags that are embedded into each page
it would be natural to assume that the link target was also generally
accepted as something to do with "Audio Quality"... Hence when people are
searching for "Audio Quality" the site that the ad is pointing to will get
a higher ranking and therefore more traffic which will result in an
increase in sales for the products on the site that is advertising.

Cheers

Patrick

> --
> Jörn Nettingsmeier
> Lortzingstr. 11, 45128 Essen, Tel. +49 177 7937487
>
> Meister für Veranstaltungstechnik (Bühne/Studio)
> Tonmeister VDT
>
> http://stackingdwarves.net

Patrick Shirkey
Boost Hardware Ltd