[Consortium] Advertising Policy - linuxaudio.org

Robin Gareus robin at linuxaudio.org
Thu Apr 19 19:56:18 UTC 2012

Hi *,

Personally, I am against any commercial for-profit advertising on
*.linuxaudio.org domain and sub-domains. I suggest to use your own
domain-name for doing so.

As Ico already pointed out: "we cannot make money off the site unless we
move to private hosting" -- private hosting equivalent to what vt.edu
offers us incl. unlimited traffic, 3 hourly, 7 nightly and 4 weekly full
backups of our 300GByte volume plus 24h support is probably >= $300 per
month. I guess Ico could find out the exact numbers, though i suppose
it's better not to ask :)

Besides, linuxaudio.org is a not-for-profit organization. As soon as we
receive money - for any subdomain -, someone would need to spend the
money and take care of accounting.  Daniel who pays the DNS registration
for linuxaudio.org every year would be on top of the list to receive a
few beers from our first revenue.

best,
robin

PS. some lac.linuxaudio.org pages do indeed feature links to sponsors
which and may fall under the category "advertising". However, none of
those is for-profit. The "sponsors" are institutions or companies who
directly support the Linux Audio Conference - mostly with non-financial
contributions: e.g. this year: LWN ran an ad-campaign for us; Stanford
sponsored location, coffee, Nando & Bruno's time, etc; CiTu.fr allowed
me to co-organize LAC while being employed there,..

For the record, the LAC is under the auspices of the institution that
hosts the conference, linuxaudio.org is providing free hosting for the
conference site to the benefit the LA community.

Besides, all external links on lac.linuxaudio.org and
wiki.linuxaudio.org are marked as rel="external" which defeats SEO to
some extent. If you find some links on *.linuxaudio.org to commercial
sites that are not rel="external", please let us know and I'll see to
remove them.