[Consortium] Advertising Policy - linuxaudio.org

Patrick Shirkey pshirkey at boosthardware.com
Thu Apr 19 23:40:30 UTC 2012

Hi,

I appreciate your point of view but I feel it is more of a board decision
about how we handle sponsorship opportunities rather than a single persons
call.

- Being a "not for profit" organisation does not mean that we are not able
to take any cash contributions. Instead it means that we are obligated to
spend all the funding that we receive in support of our charter/mission.
Anyway at the moment we are not officially registered as not for profit so
that means we have no obligations under the "Not for Profit" laws for
funding.

Of course we don't have to take payments directly to Linuxaudio.org or the
Consortium. Both Daniel and myself have registered companies that can
legally act as proxies and deal with the accounting issues with no impact
on Linuxaudio.org. After all it is simply a website with a .org suffix
from a legal point of view. The Linux Audio Consortium is a completely
seperate entity again. There is no legal requirement for the consortium to
have any financial duties for the Linuxaudio.org domain name and/or any
content hosted under that url.

- As we already have sponsored advertising I don't see why it is a problem
to allow *some* of the subdomains to host paid advertisements. As long as
they meet the requirements of whatever policy we come up with.

I have suggested that lau.linuxaudio.org and quicktoots.linuxaudio.org be
hosted on my private server. These domains have always been about
providing a "fun" entry into the Linux Audio Community so it seems to me
they are prime places for *appropriate* paid advertising.

- I have no problem with taking payments, handling the accounting process
and distributing the cash in whichever way we determine to be the most
appropriate. Daniel and I have already established a working relationship
between Boost Hardware Ltd and 64 Studio Ltd.

- In a perfect world I would love to be able to earn enough money from the
"Linux Audio" digital channel to pay for content contributions,
development and design in addition to hosting and maintenance costs. I
think it is entirely within our charter to operate a professionally run
digital media channel for the purpose of promoting the Linux Audio
platform and open source multimedia software/hardware and businesses.

I have already established http://linuxmusicvideos.com. I am currently
looking into the costs for purchasing the linuxaudio.com domain name. The
whois for that domain is mysterious. I suspect it is already owned by one
of our members.

Cheers

--
Patrick Shirkey