[Consortium] Advertising Policy - linuxaudio.org

Robin Gareus robin at gareus.org
Sun Apr 22 09:17:48 UTC 2012

On 04/22/2012 04:34 AM, Patrick Shirkey wrote:

> On Sun, April 22, 2012 12:09 am, Robin Gareus wrote:
>>
>> nitpicking: the contributions were are also _not for advertising_, but
>> for _supporting the conference_. - From the contacts that I know they
>> were paid using HR and/or Support budget - not advertisement-budget - of
>> the companies in question.
>>

> So advertising is acceptable as long as it is not actually paid for?

again: it is not advertising. We do link to sites that support the cause
- and usually do so using <a rel="external"> which - to some extend -
defeats SEO. we're also free to remove the links if we wish to do so.

Certainly it's not a black/white issue. The boundary between
referencing, thanking and advertising is a gray area.

We try hard to maintain a reasonable approach. e.g. avoid user-tracking,
don't agree to any obligations, maintain freedom about content and links
to 3rd parties that we post and apply common-sense instead of hard policy.

>>> If anything
>>> people were very happy with that association and have even gone so far
>>> as
>>> to publish the keynote from the director of Ableton explaining why he
>>> *will never support* a Linux version of Ableton Live.
>>
>> [citation needed]
>
> Perhaps Jorn can provide the link?
>

>> I'm curious. I've been at LAC'07 and while I remember a panel
>> discussion, I don't recall a keynote with that message.
>>

> Perhaps keynote was the incorrect term. However as the conference was
> almost entirely "sponsored" by Ableton and the director of Ableton made a
> speech where he explained very clearly his reasons for not wanting a Linux
> version of Ableton Live it would appear to have the weight of a keynote
> speech.

FWIW, the conference site in question is _not_ hosted on linuxaudio.org.
we do link and proxy-redirect to the site which is hosted at TU-Berlin.

we do keep a mirror of it - just in case - because we deem the content
(papers, proceedings) valuable.

>> Anyway why is this bad? It's good to know the POV of others - especially
>> if you do not agree with them.
>>

> I'm not saying it was "bad". I was merely pointing out that Linux Audio
> has taken funds in exchange for advertising in the past. Even from
> companies that were promoting an "anti Linux" agenda.

No, the TU-Berlin has taken funds. linuxaudio.org offered free-hosting
for the event.

best,
robin