[Consortium] [Management] Linuxaudio.org update

Daniel James daniel at 64studio.com
Fri Mar 9 11:50:11 CET 2018

Hi Patrick,

> To really take ownership of the funding issue the Consortium can
> undertake an Initial Coin Offering (ICO) by creating a Linux Audio Token
> which can then be traded on the open crypto market.

Personally speaking, I would not support any cryptocurrency proposal. I
don't think it would enhance our credibility.

As for being independent from corporate interests, it's corporates who
pay many if not most kernel developers, one way or another.

I agree the Linux Foundation would be a good point of contact, but
creating a registered non-profit in advance of initial discussions would
be premature, in my opinion.

It may be that the best option for us is direct affiliation with the
Linux Foundation, and a separate non-profit might impede that. The Linux
Foundation has related projects including realtime and embdedded, and
they have their own conference series of which LAC could potentially
become a part.

I suspect the LAC call for papers might not be reaching far outside our
existing community, and that we would benefit from papers from Linux
Foundation members. I'd be willing to bet that there are now a group of
engineers who work on Linux audio day-to-day and have never heard of LAC.

Cheers!

Daniel