[Consortium] Official fork

Fons Adriaensen fons at linuxaudio.org
Sat Feb 13 11:51:20 CET 2021

Robin Gareus wrote:

> I think it is entirely appropriate when high profile members of the
> linuxaudio consortium announce a standard and use linuxaudio.org to
> promote it.

I disagree strongly.

Such a move should at least be approved by the linuxaudio.org
management board. If not, it amounts to using the consortium's
name without any authority to do so. It doesn't matter how 'high
profile' the persons involved are. No organistaion that takes
itself seriously would allow that.

> The alternative would have been to start a new organization (like
> LV2 jackaudio, FAUST etc).

Indeed, and that would be put that organization on a level playing
field, as it should be.

> Yet this would likely fragment the community further, which isn't
> in the interest of linuxaudio.org.

I don't want to be offensive, but that is the sort of argumentation
used by the likes of Putin and Erdogan to justify themselves.
Fragmentation and diversity of opinion are essential features of
any community that is not run in an authoritarian way.

Ciao,

--
FA