[Consortium] We have to move!

Jeremy Jongepier jeremy at autostatic.com
Thu Dec 8 15:42:17 CET 2022

Dear all,

As of February 1st 2023 all linuxaudio.org data has to be moved away
from our current hoster. Out of courtesy it has been running for free on
Fuga's Openstack platform for almost 5 years (for which I owe them
endless gratitude, thanks Fuga!) but the region linuxaudio.org is
running in is going to be removed. We are offered a very fair discount
when we are to move to another Fuga region but unfortunately that would
still get rather expensive, despite the discount.

So I'd like to propose moving to Hetzner. I'm already backing up the
complete linuxaudio.org archive in their object store and it would be
relatively easy to spin up an instance or two (one for web and one for
mail) at Hetzner and couple it to the existing object store. Hetzner is
also one of the very few providers that allow for running your own mail
server which would also mean we would be freed from our current mail
gateway (which we don't have control over, it's a closed source black
box, iow, I don't like it :D).

Drawback will be that it's going to cost us. It won't be much, in the
order of €50 to €100 per year, and personally I won't mind to pay in
advance for the moment, I already do so for the linuxaudio.org domain
name and the current backups. But maybe we could think about setting
something up for donations.

Feedback? Suggestions? Objections? Other ideas? Shoot! Bear in mind
though that I'm pretty determined to move to Hetzner, they're reliable,
cheap, easy to work with and EU based.

Best,

Jeremy