[Consortium] Linuxaudio.org update and next steps--call for community input and participation

Ico Bukvic ico at vt.edu
Sat Jul 2 16:30:58 CEST 2022

Dear Colleagues and fellow Linux Audio enthusiasts,

It's been quite a few years since Linuxaudio.org consortium has maintained
an active presence beyond serving as a nexus for all things Linux audio.
Almost two decades ago when the consortium was formed by Daniel James et
al., Linux was in need of a concerted effort to improve audio on Linux, as
well as expand its visibility and adoption. Today, Linux is ubiquitous and
its audio infrastructure arguably superior to alternatives, including
commercial efforts by industry behemoths, such as Apple and Microsoft.
Likewise, the Linux audio software has been growing and maturing by leaps
and bounds, with an increasing number of commercial vendors also embracing
it as a viable platform both for studio and entertainment purposes.

Undoubtedly, we could have never reached these new and impressive levels
without this community and its commitment and energy. And as Linux audio
matured, the consortium role increasingly shifted to that of offering
community resources and historical preservation. Following a hack in 2018,
thanks to Jeremy Jongepier and Robin Gareus' help, we transitioned the
hosting away from Virginia Tech while doing our best to ensure a seamless
transition. Shortly thereafter, the world faced the COVID-19 pandemic.

So, here we are, in 2022, at what appears to be (hopefully!) the tail end
of the pandemic. Linuxaudio.org has fully embraced its primary role as an
online resource, including archiving of the Linux Audio Conference
materials, and hosting longest-running community mailing lists pertaining
to the Linux audio. With this, I believe we have arrived at the end of
consortium's first chapter. I see this as an opportunity for the community
to reflect on what we believe Linux audio needs in 2022 and onwards and how
the consortium may need to evolve to better meet these newfound
opportunities and challenges.

Just as importantly, having served as the consortium's director for almost
two decades, I believe it is time for me to step down and make room for new
leadership. If the community so desires, we may also want to use this as an
opportunity to transition away from what may be seen as a traditional form
of organizational structure and instead explore forming a committee of key
community members, each with their own specific tasks and areas of focus.

With all this in mind, I invite your feedback and input, including
(self-)nominations for service on the proposed committee and/or my
successor. The aspirational goal is to form the committee and/or select the
successor by the end of July 2022.

I sincerely look forward to your input and feedback.

Best,

Ico

--
Ivica Ico Bukvic, D.M.A.