[Consortium] Linuxaudio.org update and next steps--call for community input and participation

Fons Adriaensen fons at linuxaudio.org
Sun Jul 3 16:16:53 CEST 2022

On Sat, Jul 02, 2022 at 10:30:58AM -0400, Ico Bukvic wrote:

> With all this in mind, I invite your feedback and input, including
> (self-)nominations for service on the proposed committee and/or my
> successor. The aspirational goal is to form the committee and/or
> select the successor by the end of July 2022.

I think the first thing to do is some reflecting on what we expect
from this new linuxaudio.org, and what would be the role of the
committee - it could be a group of people each performing a specific
task, it could have a supervisory role, or any combination of these.
It could just offer services to linux audio users, or also represent
them in those cases where a single voice would be required.

Re. the latter, I'm concerned that more and more of the essential
infrastucture of Linux audio (and Linux in general) is being
controlled by a few big commercial players. For example Pipewire
and previously Pulseaudio. Compare that to how e.g. Jack or LV2
were developed. There are some advantages to that of course, but
I'm not convinced this is always a Good Thing (TM).

As I'm now retired I should have some spare time, so I am volunteering
as a committee member, provided the issues above can be clarified.

Ico, maybe you should post your message on LAD/LAU as well, I have
no idea how many of us are actually on the announce list. It seems
to have very low traffic anyway.

Ciao,

--
FA