[Jack-Devel] [LAU] running jackd from rc.local

Athanasios Silis athanasios.silis at gmail.com
Sat Apr 18 13:11:38 CEST 2015

Hi David,
 it appears that due to the nature of ubuntu* distros, I have given up the
notion of starting my audio application from within rc.local - I had
problems with alsa_(in|out) not being able to grab the soundcards in my
system.

it was suggested that I do it from my desktop environments autostart
features, but these are executed when I log in, whereas I want audio to
start up sometime during the boot process (as my user) but before I log in.
basically the idea is
-I press "power ON" button on the pc
-wait for pc to boot
-audio works through this pc

It is an audio routing workstation (and jack client) so it should normally
get audio from the jack master, do some processing and spit audio from the
soundcard i/o.

so starting everything as root with a proper init script is not in the
direction. but it appears "application autostart" is not effective either.