[Jack-Devel] [LAU] running jackd from rc.local

David Nielson david at naptastic.com
Sat Apr 18 13:47:31 CEST 2015

Look. You're trying to have JACK be available and waiting for you before
you log in. That's just not what JACK was designed for.

Starting it through rc.local won't work, because the sound card isn't
available yet. That leaves two options: auto-login, and a system service
/ init script. A different way of starting something before login will
not pop into existence because you want it. You must use what is available.

If I needed this, I would write an init script. Even though it's not how
JACK was meant to be run, it's possible, and it's not a dirty hack like
adding something to rc.local. It will never be portable, though, and it
will never handle changes in hardware or configuration gracefully. I
don't need this, because I use JACK the way it was designed: I log in,
start qjackctl, start JACK, then start my applications.

David