[Jack-Devel] Ports vs Channels in JACK

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Mon Nov 16 14:29:47 CET 2015

On Sun, Nov 15, 2015 at 8:56 PM, Chris Caudle <chris at chriscaudle.org> wrote:

> On Sun, November 15, 2015 7:03 pm, Hai Nguyen wrote:
> > I was wondering what kind of mapping there is between say L and
> > R channels and JACK ports? Or does a mapping even exists?
>
> Think of jackd like a patchbay for audio.  From the jack standpoint there
> are only incoming audio ports and outgoing audio ports, any meaning
> assigned to those ports like left, right, is up to you.

all true, although a port's flags do provide some indications:

     IsTerminal: this port represents the "edge" of JACK: data delivered or
received here
        comes from or goes to "outside" JACK
     IsPhysical: this port represents a hardware audio channel

there is also a metadata API that allows arbitrary information to be
associated with ports. Unfortunately, it has only been implemented for
JACK1 at this time.