[Jack-Devel] Ports vs Channels in JACK

Frederick Gleason fredg at paravelsystems.com
Tue Nov 17 16:39:24 CET 2015

On Nov 15, 2015, at 20:03 57, Hai Nguyen <codingforlove at gmail.com> wrote:

> So I was wondering what kind of mapping there is between say L and R
> channels and JACK ports? Or does a mapping even exists?

Assuming that one is speaking of *audio* ports (as opposed to, say, MIDI), all ports are single-channel.  Designations like ‘left’ or ‘right’ (or 'left-front', ‘right-rear’, etc) are up to the application layer.  JACK provides the mechanism, not the policy.

Cheers!

| Frederick F. Gleason, Jr. |              Chief Developer            |
|                           |              Paravel Systems            |
|   The real problem with hunting elephants is carrying the decoys.   |
|                                          -- Anonymous               |