[Jack-Devel] netJACK2 with two nodes

Fons Adriaensen fons at linuxaudio.org
Sat Aug 20 12:47:01 CEST 2016

On Fri, Aug 19, 2016 at 12:57:53PM +0200, xan wrote:

> I know, this seems so clear to you, but to me it wasn`t so
> clear. And I couldn`t find this documented somewhere. But
> thanks to your comment, I think I`ve done it right.

Since you're using Jack I assume you know the basics...
which include that you have to connect things (which
can be automated of course).

> So for the record, here`s what I did:
> – start Jack on both machines using qjackctl
> – run 'zita-j2n ip-of-the-reciever 7000' in a terminal on the sender
> – run 'zita-n2j ip-of-the-reciever 7000' in a terminal on the reciever
> – bring up qjackctl`s connections window on both machines
> I want to send Ardour`s output over the network so:
> – on the sender, left side of the connections window,
> flip ardour open and on the right side, flip zita-j2n open;
> drag and drop ardour`s Master/audio_out 1 onto zita-j2n`s in_1;
> do the same for Master/audio_out 2 and in_2; now, a line is
> connecting these two channels

OK, you could also make the connection in Ardour.

> – on the reciever, left side of the connection window flip
> zita-n2j open and on the right side, flip system open; connect
> zita-n2j`s out_1 to system`s playback_1; do the same for out_2
> and playback_2

OK.

> So far, so good. It worked. I get sound through the reciever`s headphones,
> but it`s very very bad quality, something like an ultra low bitrate. What
> I suspect is happening is, a lot of packets get lost and are replaced with
> silence (zita-nj does this, right?).

Yes. You could try --buff 100 on the receiver. This will provide 100 ms
of extra buffering.

> I originally tried it with using wifi connection although I know it`s not
> supported. Because of that, I tried it using an ethernet cable. I can`t
> hear any difference. How can I debug this and possibly make the connection better?

Hmm, did you just connect the ethernet cable and then use the same IP
addresses ? In that case you're still using the Wifi...

Are you using Jack in real-time mode (this is absolutely essential) ?
Check the top line of qjackctl's display, it should show 'RT' in
the top line (just left of the % CPU indication).

Ciao,

--
FA