[Jack-Devel] Client-Server models are just fine. Please?

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Mon Feb 1 17:25:50 CET 2016

On Mon, Feb 1, 2016 at 11:23 AM, Kjetil Matheussen <k.s.matheussen at gmail.com
> wrote:

> Oh, right. That's what I thought too, but I must have misunderstood what
> Paul
> meant by "libjackserver isn't what you think it is". Anyway, good to know.
> Now we only need to add gui functions to libjackserver (i.e. pull out
> stuff from
> qjackctl into a new executable which can only be started by libjackserver,
> and communicate
> with that executable via sockets), move libjackserver into libjack,
> and let jack_client_open start jack via libjackserver.

GUI functions? they'd have to be in a separate process. so you still have
to write a different executable, which means you're basically reinventing
qjackctl but just fork+exec'ing it from a client rather than using jack
auto-start features, plus making the real client wait until the server
appears (which could be seconds, minutes or hours later).