[Jack-Devel] stepping down

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Tue Feb 2 10:52:38 CET 2016

On Mon, 1 Feb 2016 09:07:17 -0500, Paul Davis wrote:
>On Mon, Feb 1, 2016 at 7:31 AM, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>> D-bus is unimportant for me too. I don't know if JACK1 nowadays
>> provide -Xalsarawmidi or if I still need it this day, but JACK2's
>> -Xalsarawmidi at least reduced MIDI jitter on my Linux machine, when
>> I needed it, that's why I used it to get "high performance".
>
>jack1 has a similar implementation but for the ALSA sequencer API,
>which means that (1) a2jmidid is no longer necessary (2) it can be
>used used to communicate with other (ALSA MIDI using) applications,
>not just hardware.

Thank you for the clarification Paul.

On Tue, 2 Feb 2016 08:19:16 +0000, John Rigg wrote:
>As a user it's a bit frustrating that there are other differences
>between JACK1 and 2 apart from UP/SMP and dbus capability. There's
>often some other trade off to consider when deciding which one to use.

For newbies the help/man page are a PITA, for example take a look at
JACK2. Some options are not only missing explanations, beyond that
the man page even doesn't mention all options shown by help.

For example:

[rocketmouse at archlinux ~]$ jackd --help|grep sync;man jackd|grep sync;info jackd|grep sync
no message buffer overruns
no message buffer overruns
no message buffer overruns
               [ --sync OR -S ]
       It focuses on two key areas: synchronous execution of all clients, and low latency operation.
       -L --async-latency
              Extra output latency in asynchronous mode (percent) (default: 100)
              The socket port we are listening on for sync packets (default: 3000)
       -t, --transport-sync int
info: No menu item 'jackd' in node '(dir)Top'.
       It focuses on two key areas: synchronous execution of all clients, and low latency operation.
       -L --async-latency
              Extra output latency in asynchronous mode (percent) (default: 100)
              The socket port we are listening on for sync packets (default: 3000)
       -t, --transport-sync int
[rocketmouse at archlinux ~]$ jackd --help|grep autoconnect -A6; man jackd|grep autoconnect
no message buffer overruns
no message buffer overruns
no message buffer overruns
               [ --autoconnect OR -a <modechar>]
                 where <modechar> is one of:
                   ' ' - Don't restrict self connect requests (default)
                   'E' - Fail self connect requests to external ports only
                   'e' - Ignore self connect requests to external ports only
                   'A' - Fail all self connect requests
                   'a' - Ignore all self connect requests

Regards,
Ralf