[Jack-Devel] stepping down

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Mon Feb 1 15:10:06 CET 2016

On Mon, Feb 1, 2016 at 4:53 AM, Patrick Shirkey <pshirkey at boosthardware.com>
wrote:

> It seems that the differences between JACK1 and JACK2 relate to the
> intended target use case. JACK2 does a decent job of trying to enable many
> consumer friendly tasks and take out some of the pain of doing inter
> application audio production. JACK1 handles some heavy lifting scenarios
> more effectively than JACK2.

On Linux, JACK1 provides extremely easy ways to use multiple devices at
once, full integration with the ALSA sequencer system for MIDI and the
metadata system to allow for "pretty names" among other things.

JACK2 offers dbus integration which means that it can interact with
pulseaudio to "share" a device.

I don't think that your characterization is entirely accurate.

> If he is interested, I nominate Harry Van Haaren as the new official
> maintainer for JACK1 codebase. He has proven his skills and commitment and
> is a fair and impartial communicator.

Filipe (falktx) has already volunteered for the position.