[Jack-Devel] Client-Server models are just fine. Please?

Ian Malone ibmalone at gmail.com
Wed Feb 3 13:27:03 CET 2016

On 2 February 2016 at 23:51, David Nielson <david at naptastic.com> wrote:
> On 02/02/16 16:39, Rui Nuno Capela wrote:
>>

>> also, rather exclusive for the brave:
>>  http://www.rncbc.org/drupal/node/658
>> (scroll down and start reading from where the qjackctl-auto-start-hack is
>> whispered after "the lines that follow...";))
>> it has been working for me, for ages now
>>
>> cheers
>
> (maybe this is unrelated but) I compile jack2 from source on Debian Sid. A
> few days ago, I installed the pulseaudio JACK source/sink package from
> Debian, and added these lines to /etc/pulse/default.pa, in the "load drivers
> statically" section:
>
> load-module module-jack-sink
> load-module module-jack-source
>
> Now JACK runs whenever the computer is running, and all inputs and outputs
> are mapped magically. This does result in "you've got mail" coming out the
> PA system, so it's not for everyone, but since I've got 24 ins and outs, I
> can map things the way I want...
>
> ...when did things get this easy? And powerful?

Have been using that trick for a few years now. You can even fix the
system notifications too, if there's a separate sound interface you
want them to come out of, just use pavucontrol and set the output for
system notifications to a device other tha the jack sink. (Honestly, I
always turn them off anyway.) It's really nice to be able to do it,
because you can feed sounds from things within pulseaudio into your
workflow (e.g. youtube into DAW).

Many thanks to Paul and all the others who have worked on Jack (and
Rui for the very useful qjackctl). I think it's currently suffering
from the problem that it does what it's supposed to, which tends to
make projects look like they've stalled.

(If I had one wishlist item, it would be multiple sources, but I
realise there are significant technical challenges there. Having
separate source and output is useful though.)

--
imalone
http://ibmalone.blogspot.co.uk