[Jack-Devel] stepping down

Markus Seeber markus.seeber at spectralbird.de
Sat Jan 30 23:30:02 CET 2016

On 01/30/2016 07:09 PM, Paul Davis wrote:

> The website doesn't change much. The "Applications" page already has its
> own maintainer (though it also doesn't change much). I think you already
> have push access on github, so ... great.

The lack of change and improvement on the website...
Well, I'll take the blame on me for that.

In the past, I had a vision but my motivation to support the website
kind of drowned due to various reasons. Some are similar observations
like Paul's, some are related to the complicated situation JACK (as an
API AND it's implementations) is in and there is also that damn thing
called "life" that keeps happening to me, very distracting.

Basically, I realised, that JACK is dead, maybe not yet the software,
but as a project and that is frustrating. The more I research about JACK
the more tired and sad I get, especially the inevitable aging of the
software and so on... the usual stuff that software developers have to
deal with. (see attachment for a little smile)

That may sound very negative (because I am currently very negative about
that) and I am not willing to contribute to JACK (1/2/API tools/homepage
and in general) anymore unless someone can provide a positive and
realistic vision for the project that is beyond milking the dead cow for
another 4 or 5 years.

I can check and merge pull requests, communicate and provide help
regarding the homepage if someone want's to take over but I won't put
significant effort in a website of which I have the feeling nobody cares
about and represents a dead project.

Well, enough rant and with the disclaimer that this is just from a
personal and very limited perspective on things.