[Jack-Devel] stepping down

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Sat Jan 30 19:09:16 CET 2016

On Sat, Jan 30, 2016 at 12:03 PM, Filipe Coelho <falktx at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 30.01.2016 17:13, Paul Davis wrote:
>
> Sometime in the next two weeks, I will find the time to deal with a
> variety of pull requests for JACK 1, update some articles on jackaudio.org
> (notably FAQ stuff), and do a new release of JACK 1.
>

> Great!
> Does this include the latest patch from Fons too?

It will, yes.

> I'd be happy to take care of the maintenance of the code (making sure it
> works on new distros, dealing with pull requests, etc).
> But only if someone else is willing to handle the non-coding parts, like
> the website.

The website doesn't change much. The "Applications" page already has its
own maintainer (though it also doesn't change much). I think you already
have push access on github, so ... great.

> Anyway, I got a question for you Paul.
> What do you think about the jack1 dbus patch?
> Having that in would allow to have the same dbus tricks jack2 uses for
> pulseaudio.
> I know you don't truly agree on how it was done, but since you're stepping
> down I know there's very little chance the "proper" way will get done.

my objection was that i think the dbus integration should be in a separate
process that uses the server control API to start/stop a JACK server.

at this point, i don't think that my objection is worth anything at all,
even though i still believe that my conception (the one that came out of
the 2007 "Berlin summit") is "more correct".

the reality is that nobody ever developed any other control protocols for
JACK. there was talk of an OSC control app, but this never materialized.
from a pragmatic perspective, dbus is the only control protocol that has
ever emerged, and after many (many!) years in that condition, it makes
sense to integrate that into the server itself.