[Jack-Devel] stepping down

Filipe Coelho falktx at gmail.com
Sat Jan 30 18:03:32 CET 2016

On 30.01.2016 17:13, Paul Davis wrote:
> Sometime in the next two weeks, I will find the time to deal with a
> variety of pull requests for JACK 1, update some articles on
> jackaudio.org <http://jackaudio.org> (notably FAQ stuff), and do a new
> release of JACK 1.

Great!
Does this include the latest patch from Fons too?

> This will be my last work on JACK. The time has come for me to step
> down from my role as "benign dictator (and jack1 maintainer)".

Can't say I'm surprised.
JACK development has been slowly decreasing in activity.
We have working meta-data in jack1 now at least, thanks for that!

> I would be happy if someone volunteered to step up as maintainer of JACK1.

I'd be happy to take care of the maintenance of the code (making sure it
works on new distros, dealing with pull requests, etc).
But only if someone else is willing to handle the non-coding parts, like
the website.

> It would obviously be even better if someone was willing to take the
> big leap to JACK3, a version that combines all the best parts of JACK1
> and JACK2, but I think it is more realistic to accept at this point
> that this is not going to happen.

I think the ideal case would be to combine both pulseaudio and jack in a
single API that allows both realtime/producer-oriented plus
consumer-oriented applications.
Having pulseaudio give up the soundcard for JACK is nice and all, but
users get very confused why their sound mixer suddently stops working...

Anyway, I got a question for you Paul.
What do you think about the jack1 dbus patch?
Having that in would allow to have the same dbus tricks jack2 uses for
pulseaudio.
I know you don't truly agree on how it was done, but since you're
stepping down I know there's very little chance the "proper" way will
get done.

And Nedko, if you're reading this, are you willing to finish the jack1
dbus integration if Paul agrees with its inclusion?