[Jack-Devel] stepping down

Michael keybounce at gmail.com
Sun Jan 31 22:24:52 CET 2016

On 2016-01-31, at 12:59 PM, Paul Davis <paul at linuxaudiosystems.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Jan 31, 2016 at 3:48 PM, Kjetil Matheussen <k.s.matheussen at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> On Sun, Jan 31, 2016 at 2:44 PM, Paul Davis <paul at linuxaudiosystems.com> wrote:
>

> On Sun, Jan 31, 2016 at 6:33 AM, Kjetil Matheussen <k.s.matheussen at gmail.com>wrote:
>

> I don't think Jack is the wrong solution for a DAW either. But Jack never got finished.
> It has a wonderful API, but it shouldn't be a struggle for a program to create a jack client
> if a jack server isn't running. (there were a lot of talk about this around 10 years ago,
> but the end result never became as good as it should I think).
>
> i am not sure what the problem is here. if the client doesn't specify anything, then the server will start automatically with the same parameters as it did last time. this has worked for years. no?
>

> Well, I've never used it. It doesn't feel safe. There is no obvious place to
> check that it does what it's supposed to.
>
> You're sure of that? Every one of your JACK clients explicitly avoids auto-start?
>
> The mechanism for this is extremely simple and robust. The contents of the file ~/.jackdrc are executed. You can check the result with ps aux or a graphical equivalent.
>

> I think the first program trying to create a client also should start the server. Not
> just fork off a process, but actually run the server. ...
>
> you also missed out how EVERY single possible JACK client now has to have some way to bring up a server control dialog, that will work no matter what GUI toolkit the client was written with (or no GUI toolkit).
>
> is this supposed to be a serious suggestion?

Another serious problem: Lets say I have a program made by someone that never knew anything about Jack, and is outputting audio to whatever the default system device is. I want that to output to the Jack system. For that to happen, something other than a program that I cannot alter must be able to start up and serve the jack system.

Hence, a server.