[Jack-Devel] stepping down

Michael keybounce at gmail.com
Sat Jan 30 23:50:01 CET 2016

On 2016-01-30, at 10:58 AM, Paul Davis <paul at linuxaudiosystems.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Jan 30, 2016 at 1:17 PM, Michael <keybounce at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> As a user, let me give you an entirely different viewpoint. I love Jack, and see no alternative, for this:
>
> I can have different applications send audio output to different devices.
>
> Almost all applications want to send audio to the default audio device. (Which makes sense, right?). So, with Jack, and no programs being jack-aware other than QJackCtl, I can tell all these different programs which device to use.
>
> If you can name any alternative to this, please do. I am on a Mac.
>
> CoreAudio can do all that. If you happen to be using applications naive/silly/stupid enough to not offer device options, then sure, JACK can help.
>
> In addition, if you're on a Mac running OS X, you're almost certainly using JackOSX which means that the future/condition of JACK1 is of little consequence to you.

This is true. I did not realize it was just the Jack1 version being discussed when I wrote my last message; all I saw was Jack going dead.

As for applications that don't offer device options, can you show me any program from Apple that does? Quicktime Player, Mail's sounds, Safari playing HTML5, at least Terminal's beeps use the error device instead of the normal output device, etc. -- all use the default audio output. So do many if not most third-party apps. Firefox, Flash player, heck Dish Anywhere's custom plugin, etc. Etc.

It's easier to list what does support other audio devices. Vlc, MPlayer, OBS, the screen recorder I use, Teamspeak, ... umm ... what else?