[Jack-Devel] stepping down

Kjetil Matheussen k.s.matheussen at gmail.com
Sun Jan 31 22:11:28 CET 2016

On Sun, Jan 31, 2016 at 9:59 PM, Paul Davis <paul at linuxaudiosystems.com>
wrote:

> On Sun, Jan 31, 2016 at 3:48 PM, Kjetil Matheussen <
> k.s.matheussen at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> On Sun, Jan 31, 2016 at 2:44 PM, Paul Davis <paul at linuxaudiosystems.com>
>> wrote:

>>> i am not sure what the problem is here. if the client doesn't specify
>>> anything, then the server will start automatically with the same parameters
>>> as it did last time. this has worked for years. no?
>>>

>> Well, I've never used it. It doesn't feel safe. There is no obvious place
>> check that it does what it's supposed to.
>>

> You're sure of that? Every one of your JACK clients explicitly avoids
> auto-start?

I think so too, but I meant to say that, as a user, I always start jackd
first since I don't want
to risk a client to start jackd in a way I don't feel sure about.

> The mechanism for this is extremely simple and robust. The contents of the
> file ~/.jackdrc are executed. You can check the result with ps aux or a
> graphical equivalent.

It would be better if this information was available in a function in
libjack so that
clients can show what's happening.

>> , plus that it
>> would provide an enormous number of fun and interesting programming
>> challenges
>> for the implementors of that functionality.
>>

> and no effective difference for users over and above the current
> auto-start scenario.
>
> you also missed out how EVERY single possible JACK client now has to have
> some way to bring up a server control dialog, that will work no matter what
> GUI toolkit the client was written with (or no GUI toolkit).
>
> is this supposed to be a serious suggestion?

Yes. First you imagine what would be perfect. Later we can worry about
reality.