[Jack-Devel] stepping down

Kjetil Matheussen k.s.matheussen at gmail.com
Sun Jan 31 22:50:22 CET 2016

On Sun, Jan 31, 2016 at 10:24 PM, Paul Davis <paul at linuxaudiosystems.com>
wrote:

> On Sun, Jan 31, 2016 at 4:11 PM, Kjetil Matheussen <
> k.s.matheussen at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> I think so too, but I meant to say that, as a user, I always start jackd
>> first since I don't want
>> to risk a client to start jackd in a way I don't feel sure about.
>>

> it starts it the way you started it last time!
>

>> It would be better if this information was available in a function in
>> libjack so that
>> clients can show what's happening.
>>

> what information?

I meant server options. Driver name, realtime on/off, driver options,
timeout, etc.

>> Yes. First you imagine what would be perfect. Later we can worry about
>> reality.
>>

> I don't anything perfect about jack_lsp popping up a GUI dialog to
> configure a server. I don't see anything good about a careful constructed
> GUI application having to deal with the reality of a new dialog being
> created. this isn't even close to perfect.

But it's better than having different GUIs in every client for configuring
jack.

> what problem are you actually concerned with fixing? what users does it
> affect? when?

I think I have listed the problems. The far worst problem is that there
is no proper error response when a driver doesn't start. Especially on
Windows,
where qjackctl is quite buggy and portaudio often refuses to start.