[Jack-Devel] fractional frame rates for alsa_in and alsa_out

Fons Adriaensen fons at linuxaudio.org
Mon Jun 13 21:34:07 CEST 2016

On Mon, Jun 13, 2016 at 12:04:30AM +0200, Markus Grabner wrote:

> A while ago I initiated work on a Linux driver for Line6 devices
> (now under sound/usb/line6 in the Linux kernel tree). Some of these
> devices have weird sample rates (39062.5Hz, derived from the 10MHz
> USB clock divided by 256). The alsa_in and alsa_out jack clients
> are convenient tools to use such Line6 devices together with more
> standardized hardware operating at, e.g., 48kHz. However, alsa_in
> only supports integer sample rates, and even after a couple of minutes,
> alsa_in doesn't detect the correct resampling factor 1.2288 (48000/39062.5),
> but still reports the initial approximated value 1.228816 (48000/39062).
> Admittedly, the error isn't too big, but is larger than the error of
> high-quality crystal oscillators. And, after all, why use an approximation
> if we know better?

You could try zita-a2j and j2a (which are also provided by Jack1 as
internal clients) - they should have no problem syncing.

Anyway, the small initial error doesn't matter at all since these
programs will sync to the *actual* sample rate. The nominal value
is just a starting point, and the rounding error (approx 0.0013%
for your example) is much smaller than the random error that can
be expected between any two devices.

Ciao,

--
FA